Any business which exceeds mandatory or voluntary registration thresholds may be required or may be able to register for VAT
The definition of business embraces most forms of activity and includes any activity conducted regularly or on an ongoing basis, e.g. industrial, commercial, professional, trade, etc.
A business must register if:
- The total value of their taxable supplies made within the UAE exceeds the mandatory registration threshold over the previous 12 month period, or
- They anticipate making taxable supplies with a value exceeding the mandatory registration threshold in the next 30 days.
- The mandatory registration threshold will be AED 375,000. (around USD 102,110 or INR 67.50 Lakh)
A business may apply to register if they do not meet the mandatory registration criteria and:
- The total value of their taxable supplies or taxable expenditure in the previous 12 months exceeds the voluntary registration threshold, or
- They anticipate that the total value of their taxable suppliesor taxable expenditure will exceed the voluntary registration threshold in the next 30 days.
- The voluntary registration threshold will be AED 187,500. (around USD 51,055 or INR 33.75 Lakh)
Advantage of Voluntary Registration
Once a business is VAT registered it can charge VAT on goods and services supplied to customers and also reclaim VAT charged on goods and services purchased for the business from other businesses, suppliers etc.